THE funeral of a 17-year-old who died suddenly from meningitis will take place this week.
Daniel Bailey, a pupil at Alun School, Mold, died at Wrexham Maelor Hospital after he developed meningococcal.
Headteacher Jane Cooper paid a heartfelt tribute to the year 12 student, of Church Lane, Rhydymwyn, who was studying for his A-levels in maths, psychology, law and information technology.
His funeral will be held at St John's Church, Rhydymwyn, on Thursday at 1pm, followed by cremation at Pentrebychan Crematorium, Wrexham.
Family flowers have been requested but donations in Daniel’s memory can be made to Cancer Research UK and Meningitis Research.
The teenager leaves close family including parents James and Annette and sister Charlotte.
Paying tribute last week, headteacher at Mold Alun, Jane Cooper, said: “Daniel was a valued and popular member of the sixth form and will be sadly missed by his friends and teachers alike.
“His friends found him to be bright and warm and a person who was interested in many things and always easy to talk to.
“Daniel’s teachers are especially proud of his academic achievements throughout his years at the Alun School and he had made a very promising start to his A-level studies in the sixth form. Above all, our thoughts are with Daniel’s family at this sad time.”
Public Health Wales officials said while there was no wider public health risk, it was important for people to remain aware of any symptoms they may develop.
Dr Chris Whiteside, consultant in communicable disease control at Public Health Wales, said: “There is no wider public health risk and no other individuals will require treatment.”
Meningitis is inflammation of the membranes that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord.
is rarely life-threatening, however can kill.
Meningococcal bacteria is the most common cause ofin the UK.
Dr Whiteside added: “can affect anyone at any time and it is therefore important to be aware of the symptoms, which can include headache, fever, drowsiness, vomiting, neck stiffness and possibly a red rash that does not fade when pressed with a glass tumbler.
More information on www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/ 888/page/43792.can be found on the Public Health Wales website at
SOURCE: The Leader